About ACL injuries:
- 70-85% of ACL injuries are non contact injuries
- Females have a much higher risk of ACL injuries
- Not all ACL injuries require reconstruction surgery
- Gold standard rehab and return to sport clearance is not based injury timeframe, instead is based on meeting testing criteria
- You do not need to rest for 6 weeks following surgery to begin rehab.
- Injury prevention programs significantly reduce ACL injury risk
What can I do now? (before seeing a physio)
- Ice, Compression and Elevation
- Continue gentle movement as tolerated
- You do not require an MRI scan prior to attending physiotherapy
- ACL injuries should be assessed early if possible
How can we help?
- A thorough assessment is required to properly diagnose your knee injury
- We can advise you regarding your various options for management and help make the best plan for your situation
- If surgery is required we will communicate with your surgeon to ensure your management is specific to the type of surgery you have
- We have the scope to progress you from initial care in hydrotherapy to end stage heavy strength training, agility and return to sport programs
- We can perform return to sport testing to ensure you are ready to get back to the field.