About ankle sprains:
- Ankle sprains are the most common sporting injury
- The perception they are minor and don’t require management is a MYTH
- 40% of individuals in the FIRST year after a sprain will develop chronic instability.
- 80% of ankle arthritis is due to previous sprain.
- Early movement is favoured over immobilisation for optimal ligament repair.
WHAT CAN I DO NOW? (before seeing a physio)
- “P.O.L.I.C.E”: Protection, Optimal Loading, Ice, Compression, and Elevation
- Optimal loading = gentle pain free movement and weight bearing.
- For a severe sprain use crutches to offload the ankle
- Anti inflammatories early can help. Check with your GP if you have any other conditions or medications.
- Gentle movement like ankle circles and movement up and down can be done immediately.
WHAT CAN WE DO TO HELP?
- Bodycare Physiotherapists are highly trained in managing ankle sprains and are up to date with the latest research on treatment strategies and healing physiology.
- Your physiotherapist will determine the grade of sprain and potential for ongoing instability.
- Treatment will depend on the timeframe, severity and individual patient goals.
- This will generally progress from managing pain, swelling and improving movement, towards end stage return to sport rehab such as hopping, and changing direction.